Bustle is a better
dbus-monitor! It records and draws sequence diagrams of
D-Bus activity, showing signal emissions,
method calls and their corresponding returns, with timestamps for each
individual event and the duration of each method call. This can help you check
for unwanted D-Bus traffic, and pinpoint why your D-Bus-based application isn't
performing as well as you like. It also provides statistics like signal
frequencies and average method call times.
Bustle 0.4.7 (2014-07-19)
- Ship the icons in the tarball! Thanks again, Sergei Trofimovich.
Bustle 0.4.6 (2014-07-17)
- Icons! Thanks to Αποστολίδου Χρυσαφή for redrawing the icon as an SVG, and to Philip Withnall for the build system goop.
- More appdata! Thanks again, Philip.
Bustle 0.4.5 (2014-02-26)
- Fix build failure with tests enabled due to translation files.
- Distribute appdata and desktop files in source tarballs.
Thanks to Sergei Trofimovich for catching and fixing these!
Bustle 0.4.4 (2014-01-30)
Wow, I can't believe the first release was in 2008!
- Bustle's now translatable. It only ships with an English translation, but others are more than welcome! Thanks to Philip Withnall for getting this started.
- Add an AppData and
.desktopfile. (Philip Withnall)
Bustle 0.4.3 (2013-12-05)
I think you mean ‘fewer crashy’.
- Don't crash on i386 when opening the stats pane. Thanks to Sujith Sudhi for reporting this issue.
- #54237: Don't crash if we can't connect to the bus.
- Don't crash the second time you try to record a log. I swear this didn't happen before.
- Binary tarballs: x86_64 (signature); i486 (signature). You will need a recent-ish Glib and GTK+ 2 installed.
- Source: Hackage; tarball (signature); git.
- Older releases are available if you like laborious archæology.
- Open bugs; file a new bug.
- If you'd like to get involved, but don't know where to start, take a look at bugs flagged with the 'love' keyword, which we hope are good introductory tasks. Chat to wjt on freenode if you'd like a helping hand!
Now click File → New… to start recording session bus traffic. When you're done, click Stop, and explore the log.
If you want to record traffic without running the UI (maybe on an embedded platform which doesn't have Gtk+ and/or a Haskell compiler), you can use the stand-alone logger:
You can then open
logfile.bustle in Bustle.
You can also get some ASCII-art version of the statistics shown in the UI:
bustle --count logfile.bustle bustle --time logfile.bustle
If you want to log all system bus traffic, you need to edit
/etc/dbus/system.conf to enable eavesdropping, and then remove the include of
/etc/dbus-1/system.conf.d which seems to re-enable strictness. Then you can run
the stand-alone logger against the system bus:
bustle-pcap --system system-log.bustle
Please remember to undo these changes when you're done.
Bustle is written and maintained by Will Thompson (to a great extent courtesy of Collabora Ltd.), with contributions by Dafydd Harries, Marc Kleine-Budde, Sergei Trofimovich, Chris Lamb, Alex Merry, Cosimo Alfarano, Philip Withnall and Αποστολίδου Χρυσαφή. It was inspired by a similar tool by Alban Crequy. Patches, feature requests, bug reports and cakes are welcome!